05/06/2019 - EFRAG draft comment letter on the IASB exposure draft ED/2019/2 Annual Improvements to IFRS Standards 2018-2020
EFRAG has published its draft comment letter in response to the IASB's Exposure Draft ED/2019/2 Annual Improvements to IFRS Standards 2018-2020 and seeks constituents' views on the proposals. Comments are requested by 5 August 2019.
On 21 May 2019, the IASB issued Exposure Draft ED/2019/2 Annual Improvements to IFRS Standards 2018-2020 ('the ED') with the IASB comment period ending on 20 August 2019.
The ED proposes the following amendments:
- Issue 1 - IFRS 1 First-time Adoption of International Financial Reporting Standards. Subsidiary as a first-time adopter.
The IASB proposes to require a subsidiary that elects to apply paragraph D16(a) of IFRS 1 to measure cumulative translation differences using the amounts reported by the parent, based on the parent’s date of transition to IFRSs.
- Issue 2 - IFRS 9 Financial Instruments. Fees included in the '10 per cent' test for derecognition of financial liabilities.
The IASB proposes to clarify the fees that an entity includes when assessing whether the terms of a new or modified financial liability are substantially different from the terms of the original financial liability.
- Issue 3 - IFRS 16 Leases. Illustrative example 13. The IASB proposes to amend Illustrative Example 13 accompanying IFRS 16 to
remove the illustration of payments from the lessor relating to leasehold improvements. The proposed amendment would remove potential for confusion regarding the treatment of lease incentives applying IFRS 16.
- Issue 4 - IAS 41 Agriculture. Taxation in fair value measurement. The IASB proposes to remove the requirement in paragraph 22 of IAS 41 for entities to exclude cash flows for taxation when measuring fair value applying IAS 41.
EFRAG generally agrees with the proposals in the ED and considers that these minor changes will improve the consistency and understandability of the IFRS standards concerned. However, EFRAG proposes that:
- Issue 2: IAS 39 Financial Instruments: Recognition and Measurement be amended in the same way as the amendment proposed to IFRS 9 Financial Instruments; and
- Issue 3: additional guidance to be added to IFRS 16 Leases on where the reimbursement of leasehold improvements may be considered as a lease incentive.
The draft comment letter is available here.
EFRAG requests comments on its draft comment letter by 5 August 2019. You can comment on EFRAG's draft comment letter by clicking on the 'Comment publication' link below.